Apply: African Regional Institute for Geospatial Information Science and Technology (AFRIGIST) Recruitment For Executive Director- All you need to know about AFRIGIST recruitment like wise how to apply are contained in this article.
The African Regional Institute for Geospatial Information Science and Technology (AFRIGIST), formerly known as Regional Centre for Training in Aerospace Surveys (RECTAS) was established in 1972 under the auspices of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) as an educational “one-stop solution institution that trains highly skilled manpower, and conducts research in geospatial information science and technology, and its applications.
AFRIGIST is located within the campus or Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria. The Institute is a bilingual (English and French) inter governmental joint institution for Africa, with full diplomatic accreditation in the Federal Republic of Nigeria and its membership is open to all African countries.
The member countries at the moment are eight (8) namely: Benin, Burkina Cameroon, Ghana, Mali, Niger, Nigeria (the host country) and Senegal. Cote d’Ivoire, Guinea Bissau and Liberia have shown interest in becoming member states. Vision of AFRIGIST is to be a leading Institute of Excellence providing one-stop solution for quality geospatial information science training. education and research and critical capacity for sustainable development in Africa. Mission Statement is to contribute to rapid sustainable development of member states in particular and Africa in general, through the development of critical capacity for timely delivery and responsible use of appropriate geospatial information.
The Governing Council of the African Regional Institute for Geospatial Information Science and Technology (AFRIGIST), Obafemi Awolowo University Campus, Ile-Ife, Nigeria, invites applications from qualified candidates for the position below which will be vacant with effect from January, 2023:
Job Title: Executive Director
Location: Ile-Ife, Osun
Duties And Obligations
- Responsible for administration, management and direction of the Institute as its Chief Executive.
- Secretary of Governing Council.
- Chairman of Academic Board.
- Chairman, Staff meetings.
- Chairman, Consultancy Management Board.
- Adviser to Editorial Board.
- To submit a report of activities of the Institute vis-à-vis execution of approved programmes at every meeting of Council.
- Liaise between the Institute and external bodies.
- Give lectures in areas of specialization.
- Supervise students theses and projects.
- Chairman, Appointments and Promotions Committee (for General Service Staff) and Member, Appointments and Promotions Committee (for Professional Staff).
- Member, Technical Advisory Committee.
- To submit proposal programme budget to Governing Council for approval.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate for the post of Executive Directors are:
- Possess a PhD Degree in the fields of Geospatial Information Science and Technology (Photogramme. Remote Sensing, Cartography & Geographic Information Science) or related discipline (Geodesy, Surveying/Surveying and Geoinformatics, Geography, Geology, Urban & Regional Planning, or Computer Science with strong competence in applications of geospatial information science and technology),
- A minimum of 12 years post qualification experience not less than 5 years of which should be in a tertiary institutional administrative capacity.
- Be between 45 and 55 years of age.
- Demonstrate astute managerial ability to maintain the peace and academic stability for which the Institute is reputed.
- Be a scholar of outstanding national and international repute, with proficiency in Information and Communication Technology (ICT) and considerable experience at the top levels of administration.
- Be an academic, with track record of teaching, research, supervision of students and community service.
- Be a person of entrepreneurial and innovation pre-disposition, with proven track record appropriate to the vision and mission of a first-class regional Institute.
- Be conversant with UNECA system and be able to ensure international standards within the Institute.
- Empower others to translate vision into results and be proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives.
- Establish and maintain relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support.
- Anticipate and resolve conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions, Provide leadership and take responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives.
- Provide an environment in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
- Manage in a deliberate and predictable way.
- Operate with transparency, has no hidden agenda.
- Be a person endeared with strong character and ability to give courageous and effective leadership.
- Be a person capable of inspiring the advancement of capacity building in Africa and reaching out to all persons without discrimination in any form.
- Be of a sound health, pleasant disposition, unassailable integrity and strong moral character for inspiring and maintaining moral discipline among staff and students.
- Be able to initiate and sustain partnership with national and international organisations.
- Be able to continue with vigour and innovation the academisation process of the Institute.
- Place confidence in colleagues, staff members, Treat sensitive or confidential information appropriately.
D2 $43,873 – $46,320.
Conditions and Benefits:
- The Executive Director is appointed on a “fixed term” for a definite period as stipulated in the rules and regulations and letter of appointment. He/She is entitled to a first term of four (4) years and renewable for second and third terms of two years each upon satisfactory performance.
- The benefits include among others, severance allowance of annual salary, vehicle and furniture, transportation, meal subsidy, utility, housing, entertainment, spouse, children and educational grant and allowances.
- Salaries are quoted in US dollars (S) but paid in appropriate national currencies of staff. The Executive Director should be a national from AFRIGIST member states, but preferably Nigerian.
How to Apply for AFRIGIST Recruitment
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a signed Application Letter and Curriculum Vitae (CV). The Curriculum Vitae should indicate the following:
- Name in Full
- Place and Date of Birth
- Marital Status
- Home Address
- Present Contact Address, including E-mail Address
- Office Address
- Number and Ages of Children (if any)
- Secondary and Post-Secondary Education, including Dates and Names of Institutions Attended
- Academic and Professional Qualifications with Dates
- Work Experience with Dates
- List of Outstanding Publications
- Membership of Learned Societies Professional Bodies.
- Extra-curricular Activities
- Names and Addresses of Three (3) Referees.
Applications with copies of Academic Certificates Awards and relevant documents attached should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org using “Application for the Position of Executive Director” as the subject of the mail.
And / Or
Physically in a sealed envelope to:
The Chairman of AFRIGIST Governing Council,
African Regional Institute for Geospatial Information Science and Technology (AFRIGIST),
Off Road 1, Obafem Awolowo University Campus,
Osun State, Nigeria.
- The candidates should include a statement of his/her vision for AFRIGIST in a typed double-spaced 12 points, Times New Roman Font; and not more than 2 pages of A4 size paper.
- Applicants should request their referees to forward confidential reports on them in sealed envelopes to the addresses above.
- Only qualified shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Friday, 19th August, 2022 at 2:00 pm (GMT).
How to get latest job updates regularly and on time
kindly Subscribe to the site using your Email address to get updates for FREE
Also follow our twitter News Handles for latest updates twitter.com/RecruitmentSlot
In case of any issue or challenge or questions click here