Construction Engineer Recruitment at the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF)
United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
Job Title: Construction Engineer, NO-1
Job no: 559955
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract Type: Temporary Appointment
How Can You Make a Difference?
The main responsibilities of the Construction Engineer will include but not limited to the following:
- Participates to the UNICEF construction projects from their planning to their full implementation and coordinate all necessary meetings with requesting sections including provision of guidance, technical input etc. in regard to their needs.
- Develops all required monitoring and supervision tools and conduct monitoring activities.
- Responsible for the completeness and quality of the works performed by contractors and engineering consultancy companies’ in compliance with technical specifications and UNICEF quality standards.
- Participates in the performance evaluation of construction service providers, contractors and implementing partners as well as government counterparts.
- Prepares and develops all necessary technical documents required for bidding and solicitations including production of 3D design, drawings and plans, technical specifications, bill of quantities (BoQ) etc.
- Reports on the progress of deliverables and works of contractors and service providers.
- Assists the Construction Specialist in coordinating with Operations and programmes required activities to ensure proper and timely actions from both, UNICEF’s and Governments side.
- Reviews requests for payments from contractors and submit them to the Supervisor for certification along with the required documents.
- Assists in the handing over of facilities to project beneficiaries.
- Conducts basic site and soil investigations and surveys and underline topographical features as may be required.
- Assists in all tender exercises for the procurement of construction and consultancy services and participate in site visits and assessments.
- Reviews the accuracy of technical aspects and cost estimates received as part of the proposals from potential contractors/suppliers/implementing partners/government counterparts.
- Identifies risks and report them to the management and contribute to initiate corrective actions where necessary, so that maximum benefit to client and stakeholders is achieved.
- Leads the preparation of interim – final projects and handover reports and maintain the relevant project records.
- Performs any other construction related activities as instructed by the Supervisor and the Management.
READ: SPDC Recruitment
Application Closing Date
24th March, 2023 W. Central Africa Standard Time.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- University Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering or a related Degree from a recognized university.
- Minimum of 2 years of professional experience at national level in the relevant field of civil engineering, especially in preparation of construction technical documentation.
- Knowledge of the UN rules, procedures and regulations would be an asset.
- Working experience in UN or other international development organization would be an asset.
- Background/familiarity with an emergency would be an asset.
- Familiarity with north-east Nigeria is a strong asset.
- Knowledge and experience in the usage of construction related software.
- Good computer skills including word processing, power-point and spreadsheet.
- Experience of working in complex environments and large infrastructure and/or civil works, particularly in the field of construction technical project documentation development as well as construction supervision.
- Working experience in the area of preparation, implementation and monitoring of technical/ (re)construction projects; methodological and calculation skills.
- Experience in technical design of high-rise structure is an asset.
- Excellent written and spoken English required.
- Working knowledge of local languages Hausa and/or Kanuri is highly desirable.
For Every Child, you demonstrate:
- UNICEF’s Core Values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, Accountability and Sustainability (CRITAS) underpin everything we do and how we do it. Get acquainted with Our Values Charter: UNICEF Values
UNICEF Competencies Required for this Post are:
- Builds and maintains partnerships
- Demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness
- Drive to achieve results for impact
- Manages ambiguity and complexity
- Thinks and acts strategically
- Works collaboratively with others.
- Innovates and embraces change
- During the recruitment process, we test candidates following the competency framework. Familiarize yourself with our competency framework and its different levels: competency framework here.
- UNICEF appointments are subject to medical clearance. Appointments are also subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid).
- Government employees that are considered for employment with UNICEF are normally required to resign from their government before taking up an assignment with UNICEF.
- UNICEF reserves the right to withdraw an offer of appointment, without compensation, if a visa or medical clearance is not obtained, or necessary inoculation requirements are not met, within a reasonable period for any reason.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
We encourage you to share this opportunity with your friends and loved ones who might be interested in other to keep them update.
Leave a Reply