Mercy Corps Recruitment For Learning and Communication Officer- Apply now for a full time job.
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps Recruitment applications is open for the following position below:
Job Title: Learning and Communication Officer
Employment Type: Full-time
Position Status: Full-time, Regular
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development and conflict mitigation. With the insurgency spilling over from the Northeast of Nigeria and causing displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs. With funding from institutional donors, foundations and private corporations, Mercy Corps continues to provide assistance to meet the basic needs of vulnerable populations in the areas of food security, shelter, water and sanitation, protection, and livelihoods.
- In 2020, Mercy Corps intends to implement a five-year, $30 million USAID-funded Rural Resilience Activity in Nigeria’s northeast. The purpose of the Rural Resilience Activity is to sustainably move people out of chronic vulnerability and poverty. The Rural Resilience activity will enable individuals and communities to engage in strong and sustainable market systems rather than continuing to rely on humanitarian assistance and faltering with each new shock. To achieve this purpose, the Activity will have five components and five cross-cutting elements:
- Component 1: Provide up-to-date evidence for the selection of market systems, livelihoods and employment opportunities that contribute to inclusive and resilient growth and improved nutrition.
- Component 2: Stimulate market systems growth and diverse economic opportunities (Pull activities).
- Component 3: Build capacity to take advantage of market systems opportunities (Push activities).
- Component 4: Sequencing, layering, integrating (SLI), and collaborative learning to improve activity effectiveness, sustainability, and scale.
- Component 5: Supporting Market Resilience to COVID-19 Shocks.
General Position Summary
- The Learning and Communication Officer will support the CLA Advisor in the implementation of the program’s Collaboration Learning and Adaptive (CLA) framework and lead the development of knowledge, management, and learning strategy for the program.
- He/she will also be responsible for activity-driven learning activities (after-action reviews, Lessons Learned exercises, satisfaction surveys, focus groups, development of knowledge products related to the delivery of work, etc.) ensuring the program’s learning agenda is efficiently implemented.
- Develop content for the Program Quarterly Newsletters for dissemination among stakeholders and utilize creative approaches to content development using graphic design to develop infographics and enhance reports, in collaboration with the Communications Manager.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision:
- He/she will support the establishment of Knowledge Management functions, helping to manage and promote the storage and retrieval of program documentation including planning documents, reports, research studies, lessons learned, case studies, and developing communications materials.
- To plan and implement activities that ensure adherence to Mercy Corps and USAID standards and ensure effective dissemination of project materials to different stakeholders.
- He/she will work with the MEL unit to coordinate knowledge sharing and communication tools and approaches to ensure they are consistent, streamlined, sustainable, and used.
- Work with Mercy Corps Nigeria Communications Working Group and the Rural Resilience Activity Communications Manager to develop and organize activities to secure resources for programs and convince stakeholders to provide support.
Learning, Communications and Capacity Building:
- During special events coordinate the use of social media for reporting on the activities with other program staff according to Mercy Corps standards.
- Source and secure media opportunities for the program to showcase its work during key commemoration days such as World AIDS Day, Children’s Day; International Women’s Day; 16th Days of Activism; International Youth Day, etc.
- Work with other team members to address shortfalls in communication and information management that affect program implementation.
- Support the Activity’s visibility and communication initiatives through travel to field locations to collect images, success stories, and other communications content, as necessary for the development of high-quality reports and success stories for dissemination and documentation.
- Update the content of the Mercy Corps workplace and other recognized social media platforms on a routine basis to ensure dissemination of the program activities, progress, and achievement.
- Participate and support in the preparation of quality quarterly and annual reports, factsheets, presentations, articles, lessons learned documents, and any other written resources as needed, for both internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensuring that the Activity’s learning agenda is efficiently updated and implemented
- Work with external vendors, including graphic designers and printers, and liaise with relevant print and news media to cover relevant Rural Resilience Activity.
- With support from the CLA Advisor, organize learning, field visits, knowledge sharing, and capitalization workshops at the local level to enable lessons learned to be used in future program design.
- Develop and participate in producing various communication materials including brochures, flyers, banners, infographics, newsletters, posters, articles, news stories, documentaries, and technical reports on Rural Resilience activities.
- Participate in communications-related working groups and maintain close working relationships with other communications counterparts in other relevant international NGOs, local NGOs, and associations in Nigeria.
- Maintain standards and best practices for all communications and related processes, including contributions to the online Communications and Learning library under the direction of the CLA Advisor and Communications Manager.
- Support the mapping of stakeholders to inform partnership that contributes to increased resilience and economic opportunities
- Generate and share evidence for learning, adapting, and quality implementation in a timely manner
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Provide team members with information, tools, and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options, and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
- Draft and/or review scope of work to hire and manage any technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget.
Influence & Representation:
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, subgrantees, donors, local governments, and other stakeholders.
- Communicate Effectively To Ensure Overall Project Targets And Donor Obligations Are Met.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient, and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability To Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring, and evaluation of our field projects.
- Reports Directly to Collaborating, Learning and Adapting Advisor, dotted reporting line to Communication Manager
- Works Directly with Chief of Party, Communications Manager, Intervention Facilitation team, Rural Resilience Activity technical leads, MRM team, Finance, and compliance department, and other relevant MC staff.
Knowledge and Experience
- Postgraduate Degree in Communication, Monitoring & Evaluation, Knowledge Management, International Development, or any related field.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including experience with any communication software Experience interfacing with media, corporations, and key stakeholders highly desired Fluency in Hausa, written and verbal English is required.
- 2-3 years of experience in writing and editing content for digital and print.
- Advanced skills in graphic designs especially Corel draw and Adobe Photoshop.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe applications and good photography skills
- Knowledge of program development, implementation, and reporting
- A minimum of 3 years of Communication and/or knowledge management work experience in international development required; the ideal candidate will have both theoretical and practical background in communications. Experience implementing peace & resilience building and market systems projects will be of great advantage
- Demonstrated experience in initiating and implementing program development learning strategies, workshops, and building team capacity to deliver high-quality results.
- Vast experience in producing quality communications materials (factsheets, summary briefs, documentaries, drama skits, etc)
- The successful candidate will combine exceptional leadership, management, and technical skills with a focus on innovative interventions to engage adolescent girls in informal education and skills building linked with private sector entrepreneurship and employment opportunities in a culturally and religiously conservative environment. S/he will have an outstanding ability to develop, implement and manage innovative and complex programs within the current and future program structure of Mercy Corps in the region. Multi-tasking, prioritizing, problem-solving and simultaneous attention to detail and strategic vision are essential.
- The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves professionally and respect local laws, customs, and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
- Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges.
- We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
- Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact. We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all.
- We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
- Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members.
- As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct eLearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
Note: Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply
How to Apply For Mercy Corps Recruitment
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application ends 19th August, 2022.
How to get latest job updates regularly and on time
kindly Subscribe to the site using your Email address to get updates for FREE
Also follow our twitter News Handles for latest updates twitter.com/RecruitmentSlot
In case of any issue or challenge or questions click here