Apply for United States Institute of Peace (USIP) Recruitment For Project Officer
We are inviting applications from qualified candidates for recruitment to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Officer
Requisition Number: CONTR002000
Location: Middle Belt, Nigeria (Plateau, Benue, Niger)
Job Category: Program
The PO will be part of a team working on USIP’s conflict mitigation and community policing (CM/CP) project in three states (Plateau, Benue, Niger) in Nigeria’s Middle Belt. The project’s goal is to improve security in the Middle Belt through improved Nigeria Police Force (NPF) and National Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) response to intercommunal violence.
The PO will provide leadership of the State’s program and leads the implementation by taking on operational, administrative, financial, and technical duties. He/She/They will ensure the synthesis of technical approaches across the implementation areas and will assume responsibility for leading all the technical trainings and translating program learning into tangible adjustments to intervention strategies. The PO will report to the Nigeria Program Officer based in Lagos. They will work closely with the Program Officer in Nigeria and project team in Washington DC. The position will also require working closely with the Nigeria Police Force and the National Security and Civil Defense Corps.
This is a Personal Services Contractor position.
About United States Institute of Peace (USIP)
United States Institute of Peace is a national, nonpartisan, independent institute, founded by Congress and dedicated to the proposition that a world without violent conflict is possible, practical and essential for U.S. and global security. In conflict zones abroad, the Institute works with local partners to prevent, mitigate, and resolve violent conflict. To reduce future crises and the need for costly interventions, USIP works with governments and civil societies to build local capacities to manage conflict peacefully. The Institute pursues its mission by linking research, policy, training, analysis and direct action to support those who are working to build a more peaceful, inclusive world.
Program Quality Oversight:
- Provide leadership and strategic vision to CM/CP project including work plan development, conflict and stakeholder analysis, trainings, partnership selection and management, and overall sector strategy.
- In close partnership with the Program Officer, provide direct oversight to partner(s).
- Provide sector oversight and guidance in the implementation of CM/CP activities aligned with the project log frame and budget.
- Recognize and communicate opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
- Support the monitoring and evaluation implementation which aim to document, and use data for program learning and improvement, with focus on learning lessons throughout the life of the program.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance in the implementation and management of the CM/CP initiatives in line with the project logical frame and impact goal.
- Responsible for working with Partners and other stakeholders to ensure implementation of the CM/CP in the relevant State.
- Regular communication and visits to ensure the quality and integrity of project implementation by partners, including adherence to project principles and work plans, good practice in the relevant professional fields and applicable policies, regulations and laws, including those of USIP.
- Integrate community approaches, conflict, and gender sensitivity into CM/CP capacity building activities as appropriate.
- Provide technical and sector inputs to//during planning, organizing and coordination of project monitoring processes, assessments, surveys, research and evaluations.
- Under the guidance of the Nigeria Program Officer, build relations and enhanced collaboration between relevant stakeholders in particular NPF, NSCDC and relevant government ministries, agencies and departments when needed
- In collaboration with partners, contribute to the development and standardization of best practices.
- Sustain a work environment of mutual respect and excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Provide other team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with USIP’s financial regulations as related to the project implementation.
- Review partners contract / activity budget for technical efficacy
Influence and Representation:
- Identify, build, and manage collaborative partnerships with partners, law enforcement, MDAs and other stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively to ensure project implementation targets and technical quality standards are met.
- Participate in coordination meetings and other relevant meetings as delegated.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by USIP’s Overseas Safety and Security department.
- Minimum of BA / BSc. in relevant field (International Relations, Conflict Resolution, Human Rights or Development) or other similar field. A Master’s Degree would be an asset.
- Minimum of 4 years working experience in a similar context and specifically with law enforcement agencies in Nigeria.
- Strong Community policing and conflict management skills, with good understanding of relevant institutional culture in particular NPF, NSCDC and community governance structures.
- Experience working in the selected state.
- Good organizational skills, ability to make recommendations for improvement and contribute to overall program strategy.
- Perfect knowledge of English. Knowledge of Hausa is advantageous
- Willingness to travel throughout the different project areas.
- Experience in conducting trainings and workshops is a must.
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation is an advantage.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Excellent writing, editing and analytical skills.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and often demanding environment
- Experience working with an NGO (local or international) or research institution
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to develop good relationships with a wide range of actors required.
- The successful PO will have a demonstrated ability to lead and communicate effectively with team members of varied work styles and cultures, follow procedures, and meet deadlines with flexibility and creativity in planning and problem solving.
- He/She/They will have a proven ability to learn quickly, multitask, prioritize, take initiative, be accountable for results, understand the larger picture while remaining focused on the details, problem solve, work within a complex and sensitive setting, and to follow laws and security protocols.
YOU MAY LIKE TO READ– First City Monument Bank FCMBFlexxtern Internship Programme 2022 for Graduates
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
- The applicant must be based in the selected project State and the position may require travel to other field locations.
- Given the nature of the project and other project staff location, working hours require flexibility.
Application Guides and Instructions
Kindly note that,to be considered for this position, please submit a complete application package consisting of:
- Completed employment application including titles, dates of hire and salary requirements.
- Cover letter
How to Apply for United States Institute of Peace (USIP) Recruitment
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- All USIP contract and employee positions are contingent upon the favorable completion of a suitability background investigation. Compensation is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- All USIP contract and employee positions are contingent upon the favorable completion of a suitability background investigation.
- For questions about this position please email email@example.com. Do not send resumes or attachments to this email address.
- Only those applicants that are selected for further discussions will be contacted.
- No Phone Calls. Interviews will be scheduled by appointment only.
- USIP is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy and practice of USIP to offer equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, HIV/AIDS status, political affiliations or belief, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law
How to get latest job updates regularly and on time
kindly Subscribe to the site using your Email address to get updates for FREE
Also follow our twitter News Handles for latest updates twitter.com/RecruitmentSlot
In case of any issue or challenge or questions click here